I started playing with some of the examples, and within about 2 minutes of setup and coding, I got LEDs to work uning a button (on the breadboard). I am really starting to like the interface.
So far, the Arduino is really nice. There is a wealth of information on their home page, and there are some features worth mentioning. I really like the the fact that it get’s a constant 5v power from USB, unlike Parallax. Some things that I really want to do is; setup Geany as my main IDE and use C++ instead of C (both possible!).
I just received my Arduino Mega 2650 in the mail about 20 minutes ago. So far, I am very impressed with the design and the simplicity. I installed the software (which, to my surprise, they have a linux version) and began to upload my first program to the board.
This is where the problem started. I am receiving errors on what seems to be depriciated items in avr-libc (in arch linux).
/usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/HardwareSerial.cpp:91:41: error: attempt to use poisoned "SIG_USART0_RECV"
/usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/HardwareSerial.cpp:101:15: error: attempt to use poisoned "SIG_USART0_RECV"
/usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/HardwareSerial.cpp:132:15: error: attempt to use poisoned "SIG_USART1_RECV"
/usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/HardwareSerial.cpp:145:15: error: attempt to use poisoned "SIG_USART2_RECV"
/usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/HardwareSerial.cpp:158:15: error: attempt to use poisoned "SIG_USART3_RECV"
I am beginning to troubleshoot the problem now, but I am not sure what the fix will be. Once I do figure it out though, I will be updating this post.
Edit: The problem was indeed avr-libc. The newest version (1.8.0) depreciated some of the required features to get the Arduino software to compile properly. The easiest solution was downgrading back to 1.7.1.